Do it yourself cleaners are a great alternative to store bought cleaners. Homemade cleaners can not only help you save money, they also allow you to control what chemicals you are using to clean your home. Store bought cleaners are typically made from harsh chemicals, with strong harmful fumes. Making your own cleaners allows you to use ingredients that are safe and effective. Below are a few recipes that are quick and easy to use to create effective do it yourself cleaners.
Do It Yourself Glass Cleaner
A great all natural glass cleaner that you can make yourself requires only two ingredients, lemon balm and white vinegar. This recipe will clean your windows and glass and has a bright lemony scent.
-Spread out 2-3 handfuls of lemon balm on a tray, set outside in a shaded area on a hot day and let sit for about one hour, or until moisture is visible.
– Coarsely chop lemon balm and place in quart sized jar.
– Cover with slightly warmed white vinegar.
– Allow jar to sit in sunny area for two to three days, and on a counter for up to 2 weeks after.
– Strain liquid and store in a spray bottle.
This sunny lemon balm glass cleaner has a shelf life of up to one year.
Do It Yourself Dish Soap
This homemade dish soap will clean your dishes, has anti-bacterial properties, is gentle on your hands, and you can customize the scent by using scented Borax or essential oils.
– In a large bowl mix 1 tablespoon Borax, 1 tablespoon washing soda, 2 tablespoons vinegar of the white distilled variety, and half a cup of liquid castile soap.
– Boil 2.5 cups of water.
– Slowly whisk your ingredients into the boiling water.
– Add 10 drops of your chosen essential oil (optional).
– Let soap come to room temperature and store in glass or plastic container. Soap thickens as it cools.
Do It Yourself Dry Carpet Cleaner
This carpet cleaner is a great way to clean and freshen your carpets in lieu of inconvenient and time consuming steam cleaning or chemical laden shampoos.
– Combine baking soda (about 2 cups), half a cup of cornstarch, half a cup of cornmeal, whole cloves (1 tbsp), bay leaves, and 1 tablespoon Borax, then mix them using a blender.
– Use the pulse option on low until you have reached even consistency. Then store the mixture in a sprinkle top bottle or container.
Sprinkle this mixture over your carpets and allow to sit from 2 hours to overnight, and vacuum. The baking soda and borax work to break up and remove dirt. The cloves and bay leaves have anti-bacteria properties and leave a pleasant scent.
Do It Yourself Tub and Tile Cleaner
This super easy tub and tile cleaner will clean your bathroom tile and whiten your grout without the harsh chemicals and fumes typically associated with store bought bathroom cleaners.
-Mix 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide, and 1 teaspoon liquid castile soap.
Apply to sponge and clean bathroom tile, or apply to grout that needs to be whitened and allow to sit for several minutes. Wipe away and rinse
These cleaners are super easy, quick, and effective do it yourself cleaners that allow you to clean your home without harsh chemicals and expensive store bought products.